About the team
The Luno Finance Team is a savvy bunch who love what they do. We handle the core accounting, internal control, financial planning, budgeting and commercial analysis responsibilities at Luno.
If you love to move fast, while caring about attention to detail, have a continuous improvement mindset and all this sounds like fun to you, we look forward to hearing from you.
The role in a nutshell
Luno is seeking an experienced Finance Manager to oversee the South East Asia and European Luno entities. This role will be based in Cape Town, South Africa.
The finance manager will inherit a highly motivated and competent team of 5 direct reports and be expected to raise the bar of expertise in the wider team.
You will report directly to the Head of Finance Reporting and Control.
The role will be supported by another two Finance Managers – one who oversees the Africa and USA regions and another who owns our external reporting process (including Consolidation, Technical Accounting and management of the group audit strategy).
Our preferred start date will be 1 Aug 2022 (or earlier) but we are willing to be flexible for the right candidate.
Your mission will be
The core responsibilities for this role:
Internal reporting and control
- Planning and overseeing management reporting i.e. flash (day 3), monthly and quarterly
- Reviewing direct reports journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations and having ownership of all trial balances within this region
- Presenting the regions direct profit and loss statements to non-finance employees
- Liaising with banks, service providers, regulators
- Guide the direct reports to win professionally and in terms of personal development
- Comfortable with providing practical training, feedback, holding career discussions and mentoring direct reports
- Work with the Head of Finance Reporting and Control to maintain a strategy for the team and scale the team to fit the strategy
- Keeping abreast of relevant technical accounting developments within both the cryptocurrency and traditional accounting fields
- Providing technical training to the incumbents direct reports and from time to time the wider finance team
- Taking ownership of the external audits of all entities in these regions
- Liaising with auditors internationally and our in house technical specialist on technical issues which require narrative papers outlining our current treatment
- Review of audit packs and financial statements for reporting to our parent company, regulators and partners
The ideal Lunaut for this role, will have (Basic Requirements):
- A Chartered Accountant CA (SA)
- Minimum of 5 years post qualification experience (at least 3 of those years in a commercial position outside of audit or public practice)
- Experience as a team manager of a high performing team (recruiting, performance reviews and career development)
- Advanced ERP system knowledge
- High attention to detail
- Obsessed with creating efficient processes and ensuring things get done right
- Strong sense of responsibility and a high level of integrity
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a strong team player and able to work with remote teams
- International experience (i.e. has worked abroad or otherwise for a South African corporate with interests internationally)
- Comfortable working with complexity and ambiguity
- Cape Town based based (or willing to relocate)
- Ability to work remotely. Candidates must have reliable internet connection and a conducive work from home set-up.
Advantageous (Nice to have requirements):
- Experience with cryptocurrencies, digital assets or financial assets
- Prior experience in a fast moving technology / fintech environment
- Has completed Big 4 articles
- Experience with accounting for foreign currencies, complex inter-company transactions and transfer pricing
- Special tools / system experience with Sage X3, Anaplan, Expensify and /or Kissflow
In your first six months, you will:
- Manage the trial balances and adjustments for all South East Asia and European entities
- Submit management accounts to relevant external parties
- Manage your team’s goals and guide team members to achieve said goals
- Prepare for annual audits and conduct the interim audits for the region.
- Partner with the wider business in reporting actual versus budgeted performance
- Review processes and journals for group reporting deadlines
- Stay close to any developments in the region and assess the accounting, controls and reporting implications thereof
Job Competency Requirements:
- Team Working: They support others and show respect and positive regard for them in social situations. Puts people first, working effectively with individuals and teams and customers.
- Analytical Thinking: Provides evidence of clear analytical thinking. Gets to the heart of complex problems and issues. Applies own expertise effectively. Quickly learns new technology. Communicates well in writing.
- Planning and Organising: Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organised way. Follow directions and procedures. Delivers within the agreed time frames.
- Performance and Delivery: Focuses on results and achieving personal work objectives. Works best when work is related closely to results and the impact of personal efforts is obvious. Shows an understanding of business, commerce and finance.
Life at Luno:
- Forward-thinking and ambitious team that values diversity, hard work, and the continuous quest for excellence.
- Remote but reachable work policy gives you the freedom to choose between working from home or the office.
- Improve body and mind, with excellent private medical insurance.
- Free training courses on Udemy and CodeAcademy.
- Generous maternity / paternity and even paw-ternity for your furry friend.
- Annual Inspiration Day.
- A collaborative, friendly work community, with regular social events and virtual cooking, dancing, drawing and house planting classes hosted by our Lunauts.
- Free lunch and snacks.
- Free access to Headspace – a full library of guided meditations, sleep stories, and music.
- 0 fees with Luno from the day you start.*
*Offer only available on Luno Instant Buy, not Luno Exchange
Luno makes it simple to buy, store and explore crypto. More than 10 million people have chosen to invest in crypto with Luno using our platform, which is available on Apple, Android and as a desktop experience. We’ve enabled over $52bn of transactions and we securely store over $1bn for our customers around the world.
Our mission is to put the power of crypto in everyone’s hands because we believe that giving people access to a robust and fair financial system is a basic human right. We are with customers at every step of their investment journey with clear, jargon-free information and an easy-to-use app experience that helps people get started from as little as $10.
In order to make crypto accessible to everyone, everywhere, we’re on the ground in more than 40 markets across North America, Africa, Asia and Europe. We are registered with all local financial intelligence authorities and proud of our strong Anti Money Laundering measures and world-leading compliance teams. All the crypto we store for our customers is regularly verified by independent auditors. Luno is the trusted guide that will bring crypto to over 1 billion people by 2030.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not negatively discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.